Saturday, January 26, 2008

The birth of Luke....a recap.

Well the little guy is napping, and I am waiting for my pain meds to kick in, so I thought I would do a quick update.


The delivery went great, Lance and I got to the hospital at 5:30 am and we were taken to our Birth Suite. There I was given an IV and all the fun other stuff that happens before a c-section and at 7:22 we entered the operating room. I got my spinal when I got to the OR and after a few complications getting my spinal in (which hurt like CRAZY) the c-section started at 7:44. At 7:51 Luke Benjamin was born and man that kid can scream. He was given a 9 for both of his APGAR scores and then Lance, Luke and Mary Claire (luke's delivery nurse) went back to the room. I unfortunately was stuck in the OR getting sewed up.

Everything went smoothly but it turns out that there was a "window" in my uterus. Which means if I did end up going into labor I would have more than likely bled out and it would have been a race against the clock to get Luke out and save my life. So it turns out that Dr. Westford knows what she is talking about and once again saved my life and my kiddo's life. Man am I glad I picked her as my doctor.

Once I got back to my room, about 30 minutes later, I got to hear all the Luke Stats. Luke ended up weighing in at 6lbs 15.4 oz (which is 1lb and 1 oz more than Lilly) and was 19.5 inches (1/2 inch longer than Lilly). We took a bunch of photos with Dr. Westford and the family, and then they took Luke to get his hospital pictures taken which turned out super cute. Here is the link to the hospital website so you can check them out. http://www.our365.com/NewbornPortraits/BabyDetail.aspx?birthid=cb840171-2f0f-43ab-a588-28d8e427107c&babyid=e1da603e-0fe8-4376-998f-8bb674d50461
Luke and I had to stay in the hospital for a few days, but by friday morning I was getting stir crazy and everyone was doing well so we got released. Since then we have been taking it easy here at home. Lilly is in Houston with my mother inlaw until tomorrow, so we can't wait to have her home. I am a little worried about taking care of two kiddos, but I know everything will work out.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

WOW Erin that's a great story! I am so glad Dr. Westford takes such good care of you & your babies!!! Luke's hospital pictures are adorable!! I love the second one, it really looks like he is posing & smiling already!! Hope you are getting some much needed rest & taking it as easy as possible!!!